Humboldt Broncos families will share $15 million from GoFundMe
The more than $15 million that was raised by a GoFundMe campaign for the Humboldt Broncos will be split among the 29 affected families, the team announced Thursday.
Sixteen people, including 10 players and the team’s head coach-GM, were killed in the crash on April 6 when the Broncos’ bus, headed to a Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League playoff game, collided with a truck hauling peat moss. Another 13 players were injured.
“Our focus, as I’ve said since Day One, continues to be on supporting our families,” Humboldt Broncos President Kevin Garinger said at a news conference on Thursday.
Scott Thomas, whose son Evan, died in the crash, also spoke at the news conference.
“My first reaction is that I have no expectation,” Thomas said. “Through this whole process we don’t expect anything. Everything that we’re given here is a gift. People have reached out in so many ways. … None of that is expected.”
According to Saskatchewan law, the Broncos Memorial Fund must follow a process that includes the appointment of a supervising judge, submitting a proposed court order and a timeline for distribution. Saskatchewan is the only Canadian province in Canada with that kind of legislative process.
GoFundMe is deducting a $400,000 fee from the money raised.
It is the second-largest GoFundMe campaign ever. Only the Time’s up Legal Defense Fund, which raised $21.5 million, brought in more.
The Broncos announced last week that they would ice a team for the 2018-19 season and begin a search to replace coach-GM Darcy Haugan.
An investigation into the crash is ongoing.